Spain Explained

Making a police report (denuncia) in Spain

Last updated on February 25th, 2020 at 03:18 pm.

Making a denuncia is an important part of the law and order system in Spain. In this article, David Ruiz tells us more about them.

Having to report an event (or someone) to the police is something that nearly all of us have to do at some point in our lives. We might even be the ones reported; either fairly or unfairly.

The information you will read in this article is composed in part from my own experience as a translator and interpreter dealing with police reports, or  “denuncias” in Spanish.

New Call-to-action

The other part, more technical details and specific procedures, has been compiled and interpreted by myself from the website of the Spanish “Guardia Civil” (“Civil Guard” in English).

I hope you find this information helpful in understanding the nature of a police report in Spain, as well as knowing what to do in case you have to make one.

What are police reports in Spain?

Police reports or denuncias are statements which anyone can make to law enforcement officers or public officers designated for this task in Spain. They are afterwards transferred to the appropriate agency for processing, investigation or resolution.

In other words, it is a testimony that you provide to the police to report a criminal event such as theft, assault, fraud, threats, etc. or to government officials to denounce administrative matters.

If you are going to make one, it is very important that you know what you are going to report. In particular, information associated with the events or the person you are going to report against. For example you need to know:

  • Addresses
  • Names and surnames
  • The date and time of events
  • The names and details of any witnesses

It is very important that you bring your passport with you as your main means of identification in Spain. If you have a NIE number or Spanish residency you will need them too.

How do I know if I can report something?

You don’t have to know Spanish law to report something to the police. Anytime you think you’ve been a victim or affected by somebody’s actions you can report it.

You can also report if you are a witness to an event that you consider illegal.

My recommendation is to go in person (in case of doubt) to a Spanish police station and ask them. Nobody knows better than the police if something can be reported or not.

What types of reports are there in Spain?

Reports are divided into two categories:

  • Criminal complaint (called “denuncias penales” in Spanish): they are reports of allegedly criminal action or a legally established misdemeanour.
  • Administrative complaints (called “denuncias administrativas” in Spanish): they are reports of events or actions that go against local or national administrative laws.

However, as I mentioned previously, you have no obligation as a citizen to know the type of report you should do. As long as you identify that there’s an alleged crime or misdemeanour, and report it to the police, that’s enough.

Where do I make them?

Actions that are allegedly a crime or misdemeanour, which would fall into the category of “criminal complaint” (see above), can be reported at:

  • The Court.
  • Police stations where the alleged crime was committed.
  • Police stations based in the area of residence of the person reporting.

If the events were related to an administrative offence, which also would fall under “administrative complaint” as mentioned above, they could be reported at:

  • Local / National administration offices.
  • Police stations (National Police, Guardia Civil, Local Police or Regional Police).

As always, my recommendation is to go to the nearest Guardia Civil station or Local / National Police station and talk to them so that they can give you advice.

What is the process of reporting something?

The process is very simple. You must go in person to the places I mentioned in the previous point.

The report can be made in two ways:

  • Written (in Spanish) –  delivering a document with the statement you want to report along with any other evidence.
  • Spoken –  which is the traditional way to do it, telling the events and addressing questions asked by the police officer

The majority of police stations in Spain do not have interpreters, so you will need one if you do not speak Spanish.

And, again, it is very important to bring your passport for identification. If you have a NIE number or Spanish residency you must supply them too.

What happens afterwards?

The next step after reporting something at the police station depends on each case.

For certain alleged crimes or misdemeanours the police have enough authority to identify, or even arrest, those who are involved in the events.

Where there is not a clear offender or criminal, reports are sent to the judicial authority (court). From there, a judicial process begins to determine whether the reported events constitute a crime or misdemeanour legally established by Spanish law.

The judge ultimately determines whether there should be a court hearing to clarify or convict someone if necessary.

Administrative complaints may end up in economic fines or penalties.


In Spain, those who report false statements can be punished with fines or even prison.

False statements when reporting something or someone to the police is considered a crime under “Article 456” of the Spanish “Criminal Law” (Código Penal).

It is also possible to make a legal slander claim against a person who falsely reported another person.

New Call-to-action

My advice

You should not tolerate any situations you think that could be illegal. The Spanish legal system exists to protect people and sentence actions reflected in the Spanish criminal / administrative law.

If you do not really know whether something is illegal or not, you should check it out at the nearest police station or through a certified lawyer.

You should report whatever you think is wrong, illegal, or of a criminal nature, regardless of where you are from. Being another nationality does not put you at any disadvantage in Spain.

You will not be treated in a different way neither by the police nor at the court because of your nationality.

About the author

David Ruiz is a professional and registered interpreter / translator and founder of Torrevieja Translation

See all

It might be of your interest...

Leave a comment


Michael Davison

23 September, 2017 2:26 pm

I have a golf net in my
I have a golf net in my garden the ball missed the net and ended in someones garden they rightly complained am I in trouble

Suzanne O'Connell

26 September, 2017 7:33 am

Hi Michael

Hi Michael

It's hard to tell without further details. It depends what damage the golf ball did and other factors such as whether this is a frequent problem. The police will make the decision about what action should be taken, if any. 

John Adamson

1 October, 2017 4:14 am

I live in a gated Community.
I live in a gated Community. In the last three months my car tyres have been stabbed during the night. This week, it happened again, which means I will have fitted four new tyres, and I am ready to go to the police.
I have only modest Spanish, so, is it best that I write out my report and present it already translated?

Suzanne O'Connell

1 November, 2017 8:28 pm

Hi John

Hi John

You could do this but it really is best to take a translator with you to help with any questions that the police might have. 


5 February, 2018 11:34 am


In Oct 2017 I paid a Euro 5,000 deposit for a car I was to collect in Nov 2017. The car never arrived and the individual (Spanish) has “gone missing” and is not returning my call. He used a Spanish bank account for me to deposit funds. I’ve contacted BBVA and several occasions who haven’t returned my emails. I’ve filled out a UK Action Fraud report and have a Crime Number. I now want to escalate to Spanish authorities. How do I do this?

Suzanne O'Connell

5 February, 2018 8:47 pm

Hi Mark

Hi Mark

Making a denuncia at a police station as suggested in this article would be the next step forward. 

Liam Thompson

23 March, 2018 12:46 am

Hi great article. My family
Hi great article. My family have been ordered to leave our rented property without a letter of notice, the owners and agents in order to force our leave, turned off water and electricity, and changed the locks during the process of our leave. Also attending our place of work and new apartment harrasing us. Following this they are spreading lies about my family to the village where we had many friends, making our lives hell.

Suzanne O'Connell

8 April, 2018 11:28 am

Hi Liam

Hi Liam

Our advice is to go to the Guardia Civil along with your passports and all the evidence you can provide to make a report. 

john craig

9 April, 2018 4:29 am

we bought a second hand car
we bought a second hand car from a private individual who is also a mechanic, he gave us 3 months warranty
against defects on engine and gearbox. upon taking it to our local main dealer there is a serious engine fault
which we bought to the attention of the seller, who now doesnt answer our calls or messages. is it best now to take out a denuncia against him and is it best to take this out locally to the seller?

Suzanne O'Connell

13 April, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi John

Hi John

If there is a way to solve it without the denuncia, it is problaby best to go ahead with this. Making a report for this type of issue does not usually have an immediate response, so it's best to use other options like trying to keep on speaking terms with the seller. 


16 April, 2018 10:09 am

our dog was attacked by a
our dog was attacked by a neighbours dog 4 weeks ago he needed 250 euros worth of vets visits the owner gave us her name and phone number and said she would pay the bill’s . we have now called to ask for her address ( we know she lives opposite but not the number or which floor) so we can take copies of the invoices to her . she refuses to give her address and now says she will pay when she is ready . a local councillor said she would help but does seem to be doing anything

Suzanne O'Connell

23 April, 2018 11:18 am

Hi Christine

Hi Christine

Our recommendation is that you take an interpreter with you and discuss your case with the Guardia Civil. 

Anthony woodward

27 April, 2018 11:06 am

I took on a bar cafeteria and am currently being visited by the police stating I am having live music. This is not true and need to know if I can request the identity of the person making the constant complaints as the police are not very helpful in this matter even though they seem to be tired of visiting and not finding any wrongdoing

Suzanne O'Connell

30 April, 2018 11:59 am



There might be a way to find out the person's identity if he/ she has done a proper report but you would need to begin legal action for this to happen. Our recommendation is that you discuss this with a Spanish lawyer. 


29 April, 2018 10:40 pm

I have recently been the
I have recently been the victim of an assault. I have made my denuncia, but have been denounced myself. The perpetrator has lied in their statement and said that it was me who assaulted them, which is untrue. Is there anything I can do to discredit their statement? It’s just my word against theirs, but they assaulted me for no reason, but are saying that I assaulted them and that they didn’t touch me, my injuries state otherwise! I’m concerned that I will be the one in trouble, even though I’m the victim and am scared to leave my own home due to this assault. What is your advice?

Suzanne O'Connell

2 May, 2018 12:55 pm

Dear Sarah

Dear Sarah

We're sorry to hear this. Our advice is to contact a Spanish lawyer to evaluate what your legal options are. We hope that the issue is solved before long. 

Monica Kotian

14 May, 2018 5:53 pm

I have come to palma for an
I have come to palma for an business investment however I want to withdraw as I was not provided proofs or statement of investments! I had transferred 10,000 Euros as I was informed that this amount has to be done before the signing as proof for buying of the shares, I have not signed any legal documents and now the owner (startup company) says that she will not return the money until she finds the new partner. I need advice on this as the owner has not spent any money on my expenses.

Suzanne O'Connell

25 May, 2018 7:01 pm

Dear Monica

Dear Monica

Taking into account the circumstances you describe, it is very important that you have proof of transfer from your account and any information that you may have in writing such as an email or any documents provided even if it is not a contract or legal document. You should bring a police report and start legal actions at court. We don't deal with court cases but we could give you some more guidance or send a legal requirement as the first step of the legal process if you could provide us with any documents or e-mails and proofs of the transfers. 

Mark Bristow

17 July, 2018 11:51 am

Hi, my brother has returned
Hi, my brother has returned to the UK for health reasons leaving behind a debt issue, his wife has threatened to Denunce for this? can she do this.?

Suzanne O'Connell

18 July, 2018 7:37 am

Hi Mark

Hi Mark

Yes, she can make a denuncia but in the end the police decide how they will respond and this is not really an issue that is their responsibility to deal with. 

Jaspreet Singh

1 August, 2018 1:29 pm

Can we file a complaint via
Can we file a complaint via an email ? Couldnt find any mailing address anywhere for that.

Suzanne O'Connell

7 August, 2018 1:09 pm

There was a digital platform

There was a digital platform to do this, however, when we last looked it wasn't working. 

janet elwell

8 August, 2018 5:43 pm

We are a group of people that
We are a group of people that seem to have got ourselves caught up in an ongoing court dispute over ownership of a holiday complex in Lanzarote. This is not a timeshare. In good faith, we paid up-front for the seasonal holiday stay. We will be arriving individually over the next few weeks. For those who have already arrived, a security guard has prevented them from entering the complex. The guardia civil has been called and we are told to make a denuncia. We do not know who these so called new owners are. As we have paid a lot of money up front, who do we name in the denuncia? We paid our £ to the current owners but its the new, so-called owners that are preventing us having our holidays. ALSO by making a denuncia are we inadvertently breaking our contract/agreement with the owners wether new or old?

Suzanne O'Connell

20 August, 2018 5:48 pm

Dear Janet

Dear Janet

This is a complicated scenario and our advice would be to contact a lawyer as it would be difficult to clarify on a post such as this. It is likely that you will need professional legal assistance and should secure this if you haven't done so already. 


27 August, 2018 12:27 pm

Hi, I am in England but I
Hi, I am in England but I need to report a theft from my house in Lanzarote. How can I do this without being present?

Suzanne O'Connell

28 August, 2018 7:20 am

Hi Kelly

Hi Kelly

You can write an authorisation (in Spanish) and sign it to allow another person to report it on your behalf. You must include photocopies of both people's passports. 

Dr Joseph T Silliman

4 September, 2018 4:42 pm

My Banco Sabadell Visa card
My Banco Sabadell Visa card was illegally charged EUR 900. They advise me I must make a police report before they will refund my money. In the USA once the charge is reported an act of fraud Visa investigates and when complete they refund the money to my account. Is it true in Spain one must make a police report for fraudulent credit card usage?

Suzanne O'Connell

17 September, 2018 12:59 pm



I'm sorry that this response comes rather late. Yes, any fraudulent credit card use must always be reported 

Laura Kelly

5 September, 2018 8:33 am

My parents live in Spain in s
My parents live in Spain in s quad house new people have bough property at the back of them. They were very noisy at night swearing and banging walls my dad asked them to please keep it down. Since then they’ve ramped it up and become abusive swearing at them calling names and said we are on holiday so f..k you . They have spoken to committee but he’s not really interested. I’m in England worried sick

Suzanne O'Connell

14 September, 2018 1:24 pm

Dear Laura

Dear Laura

It is probably best if your father calls out the police if they are becoming abusive and intimidating. They then will be able to witness this themselves and this gives more power and credibility to the report. 

Dr Joseph T Silliman

14 September, 2018 9:34 pm

I found this commentary about
I found this commentary about making a denuncia very helpful. I am a victim of credit card fraud and VISA will not give me a credit without a denuncia. Unfortunately, I live in the USA and just had knee replacement surgery, so it is impossible for me to travel to Spain right now.

Bruce Moore

24 November, 2018 8:07 pm

My wife and I bought a house
My wife and I bought a house in 2007, one of eight being built on a site. In 2008 the house was largely complete and we received our 1st occupancy licence and paid in full. As some of the other houses were unfinished, we were using builder’s electricity supply. A few months later we were told the houses were all illegal and work stopped.
The following year, with the builder being taken to court, the builder’s licence expired and the electricity was cut off.
In 2016 the case came to court and the houses were declared to be legal, but by this time the builder was heavily into debt to his bank.
We have been told it could cost up to €30,000 to connect the mains electricity and the builder says he cannot afford it until he sells at least one of the houses.
We cannot afford it ourselves. What should we do?

Suzanne O'Connell

11 December, 2018 2:57 pm

It seems to be a complicated

It seems to be a complicated issue and we can't give you an accurate advice as some points you mention are contradictory. For example, the certificate of occupancy is not usually issued by the Town Hall unless the property is totally completed and ready to contract electricity supply directly with the electricity company. You mentioned that the builder was taken to court, but we don't know if you did take any legal actions directly against him. Obviously, he has the obligation to sort the situation out and if he doesn't fulfill, we would recommend you take further legal actions such as bringing a lawsuit against him.

If you have further queries please do not hesitate to contact us at

Caz Hunt

11 December, 2018 10:21 am

Hi I am currently looking
Hi I am currently looking after an old lady who’s brand new cooker has broken. I’m not sure if it’s the cooker or the installation as the wiring is left exposed. I sent some pictures to a friend who says it is not correct.I have spoken to the guy who installed it about this and he became very defensive and threatening. I’m not sure what to do any advice please

Suzanne O'Connell

19 December, 2018 1:59 pm

Hi Caz

Hi Caz

We would recommend that you take any evidence that you have to the nearest Guardia Civil station. The officers will let you know how to proceed


18 February, 2019 3:04 pm

I have a chalet in Spain
I have a chalet in Spain which I bought last year it has been broken into and several items stolen
Do i report to the Police

Suzanne O'Connell

22 February, 2019 2:24 pm

Hi Lyn

Hi Lyn

I'm sorry to hear this. Yes, you should make a denuncia at your closest Guardia Civil police station. You will need this anyway if you want to claim insurance. 


13 March, 2019 12:57 pm

My daughter has just had 45
My daughter has just had 45,000€ taken from her bank account and given to her father on a power of Attorney that was a photo copy and that had been revoked legally in September last year (which her father knew). The bank manager seems to think this is perfectly okay.
Please could you advise.

Suzanne O'Connell

20 March, 2019 10:01 am

Hi Carole

Hi Carole

First of all we would recommend that you denounce it at the police or guardia civil and inform the bank as soon as possible so that the Power of Attorney can't be used anymore. Also make a claim at the bank as they should check that the POA has not been revoked before using it. 


1 April, 2019 10:52 am

If I had made a denuncia some
If I had made a denuncia some time ago for lost documents, is there a way to get a copy of this now? Can I go to a police station and request a copy of it?

Suzanne O'Connell

3 April, 2019 11:37 am

Hi Alissa

Hi Alissa

You can request a copy at the police station where you made the report. You will need to take your passport and NIE number

Janet Kiff

7 April, 2019 6:24 pm

I have a friend ( Beryl) who
I have a friend ( Beryl) who retired from the U.K. to Spain. She has telephoned me, concerned about another friend (MIA) who lives near her, I think she said is Belgian. This person has formed a relationship on line with a man who claims to be ex military, stated he served in Afghanistan. He has told the woman he has sent medals, money etc. To her but it has been held up by customs in Milan and she should send 37,000 euros to get them released, it all sounds like a fraud to me, but who can my friend best report it to for investigation in Spain? This type of fraud does I know, often emanate from somewhere in Africa, we get a lot of reports in the U.K. Press about similar ones, The woman’s friend’s are trying to discourage her, but apparently this man has been very convincing. My friend has asked me what can be done and I said I would try and find her some answers, thank you for any advice.

Suzanne O'Connell

12 April, 2019 1:30 pm

Hi Janet,

Hi Janet,

Yes, we think the best option would be to make a denuncia

Michelle thomson

13 April, 2019 3:44 pm

Hi, how do I report someone
Hi, how do I report someone to the authorities if they are living and working in lanzarote illegally and are from south Africa?

Suzanne O'Connell

17 April, 2019 1:56 pm

Hi Michelle

Hi Michelle

You should report it at the nearest Guardia civil station

Robert Hart

16 April, 2019 7:23 am

Thank you this information is
Thank you this information is informative

Denise Metliss

28 April, 2019 4:31 pm

Is there a time constraint
Is there a time constraint between the offence and the denoucia?
Kindest regards Denise

Suzanne O'Connell

6 May, 2019 12:02 pm

Hi Denise

Hi Denise

It should be reported as soon as possible and we are not aware of there being any time constraints. The best thing is to make your report and they will tell you. 

Sally Hawken

29 April, 2019 12:04 pm

I bought an E bike for 800
I bought an E bike for 800 euros second hand.I paid a high price because the seller told me it was only a few years old, but had only done about 50km and was then stored,and so it was still like new.On collection I took it away and rode it, but the tyre punctured immediately.On closer inspection I saw how bad the tyres were.,and the general condition of the bike.I contacted him, and asked for my money back,as it also turned out he had lied about the age of the bike.It was in fact 10 yrs old, and had obviously done more than 50 kms.He has refused to return my money and says it was me who put a knife in the tyre ,and dropped it.I now want to make a denuncia against him as I feel he has cheated me.Is it worth my while doing this ? At some point will it cost me any money ine. More than the amount I want to claim back from him ?
Many thanks.

Suzanne O'Connell

6 May, 2019 12:00 pm

Hi Sally

Hi Sally

We recommend that you speak to a lawyer as these kinds of conflicts are more on the legal side.


2 October, 2019 10:30 am

Good morning. A few days ago my landlord came to our rented property to collect personal belongings that she had left inside the house without permission. In the contract it says the house was furnished but without loads…sin cargas. She told us the day we received the keys and after we had signed the contract. We did not agree to anything. When I wrote to her and gave her 2 week’s notice to collect the items she arrived completely outraged saying that we had a verbal agreement. This was not the case. The house was dirty and there are maintenance issues which we have reported to her without reply. My question is can I report her as when she came to collect her belongings, she threatened to end the contract and report me to the civil guard for breach of contract. She made personal insinuations and was extremely rude. My children were in hearing distance. She arrived with an agent but had not informed us and when I denied the agent access she insisted that a clause in the contract says she can send anyone she wants. When I said I would call the police if the agent insisted on entering the landlord left and returned with 2 security guards who witnessed the scene. She insisted she would not remove her belongings unless the agent was allowed entry and and claimed she needed her present for translation even though I speak Spanish. I would like a record of the incident because I was put under pressure and I believe this will not be the last incident and that she is an abusive person and landlord. Who can I inform. Thank you

Oscar Paoli

7 October, 2019 8:05 am

Hi Alison,
Sorry to read about your situation.
Our recommendation would be to put a “denuncia” in case something happens again in the future. This way there is already a record on this previous event.
With kind regards,
Ábaco Advisers

Sehrish Answer

10 October, 2019 4:21 pm

It is to bring in to your notice that I have been Harassed, Sexually abused and beaten up many times by my husband. My husband daily tries to sexual harass me and abuses me if I do not do so. Me and my children are mentally torchered, depressed and it can lead to my suicide also. I need help on urgent basis. Please save my and my children lives. Sometimes it seems that he will take our lives. His mobile number is 0034612248309 Please save us. My mobile number is 0034631649235.

Oscar Paoli

15 October, 2019 3:30 pm

Hi, we are really sorry to read about this situation. Totally not acceptable. We strongly recommend that you contact the telefon number 016 (specific number against any type of abuse) from Spain as this is a free and untraceable in your phone records.
You must to the call directly, if you feel threatened do not hesitate to contact the number 112 for any emergency.
Unfortunately we can not leave your number for them to call you up as you may have the abuser in front of you or that person might pick up and make the situation worse.
We strongly recommend you contact the number 016 for best assistance.
Kind regards,
Ábaco Advisers


18 October, 2019 5:50 pm

Received obvious loan scam email from Spain and have their address and (mobile) phone number as well as emails.
Can I report this to the Spanish authorities?

Oscar Paoli

21 October, 2019 8:35 am

Hi Simon,
You could report it via the Spanish Data Protection Authorities. You can find more info about them in the following link:

With kind regards,


4 November, 2019 8:20 pm

I have applied admission to a college in spain, but i was not able to apply my student visa. So i asked the college a refund. But till now i have not recieved my refund from that college. It has been more than a year and still i am pursuing to get my money back. Is there any law that can help me to get my amount back.

Oscar Paoli

5 November, 2019 6:03 pm

Hi Ted,
Unfortunately we are not specialized in these type of cases, we suggest you contact a specialized legal adviser for these matters.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
With kind regards,
Ábaco Advisers


22 November, 2019 6:20 pm


I live in the USA, but my ex wife and children (we have dual custody) have lived in Barcelona for the past 4 years. I have been unable to get in touch with my ex wife for over 2 months, and her phone is now disconnected. Her father is also unable to get in touch with her. Can I file a report to have someone go and confirm their safety?


3 December, 2019 3:55 pm

A woman illegally residing in Spain befriended me last winter while we were both travelling (Dec 2018). She convinced me to lend her 240 Euros, and when I said I was nervous about that she put on the drama show of desperation, and convinced me she would pay me back by May 2019. I was stupid, but, I wanted to trust this new friend, as we shared similar values and interests seeded in ‘alternative’ community of yoga and healing practices. She has since dodged my communication attempts. As far as I know she has travelled throughout Spain in a similar manner, using couchsurfing, teaching here and there (who knows if she is qualified) making friends and probably manipulating people with this false trust probably getting money in a similar manner by putting on the drama and desperation and false friendship.
I have tried to communicate numerous times but have been ignored. I recently was able to locate her, she is living in the north and working at a yoga center. I have a phone number and address for the place she works and the name and phone number of the Spanish person who owns that business. What is my best course of action to report this crime (both the theft of money and the illegal residence and illegal working)? Of course, what she stole from me is not a lot (although it is to me) but I suspect this person has done the same to others. Also she is an illegal resident, working illegally. I would like to blow the lid off of her cover, basically, because she presents herself as a ‘healer’ and ‘teacher’ in an alternative community built on trust and openness.

Oscar Paoli

5 December, 2019 11:26 am

We are so sorry to read about your situation. Our best suggestion is to make a report at your closes Guardia Civil and present all available proof for your claim.
With kind regards,
Ábaco Advisers

Zaneta Mirota

22 December, 2019 2:57 pm

Hi there,

We bought a property in Spain at the beginning this year.We have hire the person who has helped us to finalise this transaction. We have noticed that she counterfeit our signature on a mortgage documents before getting our authorisation. Later having our authorisation she has signed a very expensive home and life insurance without our knowledge. We don’t want to renew this insurance with the bank because we found a third party company which offer insurance much cheaper and with better condition.Have you got some advice, what we could do in this matter?
Thank you in advance

Oscar Paoli

31 December, 2019 12:07 pm

Hi Zaneta,

Sorry to read about your situation.

First thing to do is to report it to the police or Guardia Civil.

You can always cancel the home insurance but keep in mind that this policy might affect the interest rate that you pay monthly on your mortgage as you might have a bonification for this home insurance.

With kind regards,

Ábaco Advisers

With kind regards,

Ábaco Advisers


6 January, 2020 9:50 pm

Hi, i befriended a guy and his girlfriend in puerto del carmen , Lanzarote…i have been going 6 / 8 times a year for short stays with a view to settling and working there…this guy said that he had an appartment which i could rent long term… paid him as requested 12/10/18…he said to let my friend live in it until i was able to sell everything and england and move for good…I went for 11 days and left anther £1000, i came home on 1/1/19, then by feb i was bombared with caals saying no rent had been paid , I sent by bank transfer £3000 on 13/02/19… I went on 17/02/19 and discovered that the bloke who owned the appartment had ben living in ther with this other associate while i was not there….I returned to england on 24/02/19 to escape….thhis owner of the apartmennt and the owner of a chain of tourist vister ticket shops…TICKECTS DIRECT… said that he would give me 1600 back as deeposit and all my clothes and pocecssions …..HE NOW REFUSES AND ALL HE DOES IS REPLY WITH DISGUSTING THREATENING BEHAVIOR WITH OBSCENE LANGUAGE…..I have not responded…I have all papers of money bank transfer and all telephone text messages and voice mails as discriminating evidence…THIS PERSON IS A VERY HEAVY USER OF CANABISS AND COCAAINE

Oscar Paoli

7 January, 2020 1:32 pm

Hi Tom,
We are sorry to read about it.
We strongly recommend to make a claim to report this issue.
With kind regards,
Ábaco Advisers


3 February, 2020 10:04 am

Good morning
Can I report a bar owner that is refusing to pay my week in hand wages.
And can I report him for not giving us a contact there are other people that work there that is not on a contact.

Oscar Paoli

5 February, 2020 1:56 pm

Hi Steve,
Of course you can do so.
With kind regards,
Ábaco Advisers


17 February, 2020 3:12 pm

I tried to report a trail guide in Aragon, but the Guardia Civil, didnt want to know, our language was a problem, can I create a denuncia after the event? I am back in the UK now

Oscar Paoli

17 February, 2020 3:20 pm

You can make an online denuncia of certain matters and you can do so via the below link:

Kind regards,
Ábaco Advisers

Shirin Aguiar

19 April, 2020 6:52 am

Excellent article, thank you. Armed with this, I am going to denounce Blaze Brent my cowardly landlord who from a safe distance in Australia forced me to vacate his property in Spain DURING LOCKDOWN this week. I did nothing wrong. He wanted me out because he agreed for me to stay for two months and he ignored all my attempts to explain to him the strict restrictions in Spain worked.

Oscar Paoli

20 April, 2020 3:22 pm

Sorry to read about your situation and wishing you all the best and hope you win your claim.


21 May, 2020 3:58 am

Hi I sold a item to Spain I’m in Canada I believe the person received it but is claiming otherwise. This person used his alleged wife’s credit card. Is this a possible case of mail fraud?

Oscar Paoli

21 May, 2020 6:48 am

It could be so, we recommend contacting your local authorities in this case.
Best of luck.
Kind regards,
Ábaco Advisers


29 May, 2020 5:22 pm

well i met a Colombian woman in Malaga .to make a short story of what happened.i have given her about 13000 euros to invest in gold in Colombia .her family deal in gold she promised to pay me back 500 euros every month it is about 6 moths now .she is a immigrate in Spain and has promised . when she gets a job after 6 months.nothing seem clear in what she says .but I live France .but she has not paid me back .what should I do and what would be consequnces for her.i have all the conversations and details.please can you help me I also have been told I have cancer this is stressing .

Oscar Paoli

1 June, 2020 8:56 am

Sorry to read about your situation. You should contact a legal firm specialized in this type of matter. I can recommend you contact the following firm in Alicante:

I am sure they will be able to better assist you in your case.

With kind regards,

Ábaco Advisers

Magdalene Funnell

7 June, 2020 3:58 pm

I am so nervous to denounce someone who stayed in my house and is now holding a contract which he bought in the estanco and which I only signed for a couple of months for him to get paid by the social security office. When I received this by bank transfer and paid it to him I specified to tear up the copies but he kept one for himself and is now denouncing me. Hñwe had arguments the.last days as he smokes drugs.and is always very drunk, thereafter getting violent and he said in a huff to put his stuff all out, me responding that the locks will be changed. Since he has called the Guardia twice and now denounced mem

Oscar Paoli

8 June, 2020 10:18 am

Sorry to read about your situation. Our recommendation is to get in contact with a specialist lawyer regarding this matter and/or place a “denuncia” yourself at the Gurdia Civil.
Best of luck and do not hesitate to contact us should you require any further assistance.
With kind regards,
Ábaco Advisers


14 August, 2020 11:07 am

Hi I know somebody that is selling drugs,cocaine and marajuana they are selling it in ibiza,Jersey,Sotland,England and it has ruined a friends life,how can I get the police to look into it and stop them.

Oscar Paoli

14 August, 2020 11:14 am

Hi John,
You should report it directly to the Police or Guardia Civil and they will look into it.
With kind regards,
Ábaco Advisers


18 October, 2020 4:56 pm


Thank you so much for explaining the legal Spanish procedure for making a police report. Is there, in your knowledge, any online procedure for making a police report (denuncia)? I am currently in UK but a company did not deliver the required goods to my address in Spain, owning me a substantial amount of money. It would be very helpful if I could make an online denuncia to which I can attach all the relevant documents.

Many thanks.

Oscar Paoli

19 October, 2020 8:13 am


Thank you for contacing us. You can arrange a police report at Guardia Civil via the following link:

And via the Policia Nacional via the following link:

With best of luck.

Kind regards,

Ábaco Advisers

avtar singh

21 October, 2020 5:52 am

In spain. I want complaint of fake marriage agent..i have lots of proof and evidence against him ..but am in France..please help me

Oscar Paoli

21 October, 2020 3:58 pm


Thank you for contacing us. You can arrange a police report at Guardia Civil via the following link:

And via the Policia Nacional via the following link:

With best of luck.

Kind regards,

Ábaco Advisers

Julie Brady

29 October, 2020 3:57 pm

In my opinion I have been unfairly dismissed from my employment but it was over 3 months ago. Can I still denounce my employer or is there a timescale involved?

Oscar Paoli

30 October, 2020 2:49 pm

Hi Julie,
Yes, I am sure you can still do so. We recommend you get in touch with a specialized law firm for this matter.
With best regards,
Ábaco Advisers


23 November, 2020 5:39 pm

I have a denouncia against me, should I lose and be made to pay a fine, who would get this fine? the “Victim” or court?

Oscar Paoli

24 November, 2020 12:31 pm

Hi John,

It depends on what type of denuncia it is.

With kind regards,

Ábaco Advisers


8 April, 2021 12:43 am

I was duped by a car dealers from Spain how can report that to the authorities for proper investigation.

Oscar Paoli

8 April, 2021 8:03 am

Sorry to read about your situation, we would recommend you report the matter at the Guardia Civil who will be the authorities who can take further actions.

With kind regards,

Ábaco Advisers


16 April, 2021 7:53 pm

Hello, I am an Irish student who studies in Murcia, Spain,
I was caught out past curfew in the Guadalupe area of the city, when I was stopped by police and questioned why i was out so late,
They patted me down and searched me and questioned me for drugs, I had nothing at the time,
They then proceeded to take a picture of my ID (which is Irish), and wrote down my address where I am residing here in Spain,
Then they told me to go home and when i asked them what would happen, they just replied saying “denuncia de la hora”, i asked them what this meant and got no reply,
They didn’t issue a fine on the spot but I am worried that I will receive one in the mail (because of the picture of the ID and address),
What do you think will happen from here?

Oscar Paoli

17 April, 2021 9:02 am

Hi Sean,
Unfortunately there is no other option to wait to see if you receive a letter and its corresponding fine. The letter, if received, will inform of the amount to pay, when and how it shall be paid.
With kind regards,
Ábaco Advisers

Derek Woodley

22 April, 2021 5:21 pm

My question is, as I live Estepona, Malaga and the person I wish to Denuncia against lives in Madrid, where will a court hearing be held?

Oscar Paoli

23 April, 2021 12:25 pm

Hi Derek,

We would need some more information about the actions you want to denounce in order to give you specific advice. In general terms, if you want to denounce a crime, the competent court will be the competent criminal court of the place where the crime took place.

For example, if you are talking about a lawsuit of civil order, the determination of the competent court will depend in most of the cases on the type of action to denounce.

If you want to tell us more about your case, please feel to contact us at

With kind regards,

Ábaco Advisers

phil cooper

7 August, 2021 9:04 am

i live on a well known golf course in spain.
there are a few illegal uk reg cars here.
some i know have not left spain for at least 4 years so they cannot have legal mot,s on them.
so no mots mean no insurance. how can i do anything regarding these cars being driven around

Oscar Paoli

9 August, 2021 7:29 am

Dear Mr. Cooper,
You can report this to the Gurdia Civil who will pass it on to Tráfico who will deal with the matter in course.
With kind regards,
Ábaco Advisers

charles william brookman

20 August, 2021 3:26 pm

hi david .
have read what you have wrote re spainish law.
we have made complaine re the noise next door make after 12 00 at night which some times gos on till 0230 0330 have gone to our local police and she tell us she as spoken to them but it still go,s on when i phoned the locl police was told to send her a e/mail to see her and her answer was we have spoken .
could you tell me what would be my action to take.
thank you stay safe .

Oscar Paoli

24 August, 2021 8:34 am

Hi Charles,
Sorry to read about your situation.
We woule recommend visiting your closest Guardia Civil and report this issue with them.
Best of luck!
With kind regards,
Ábaco Advisers


8 September, 2021 9:17 am

Hi. Could you tell me where I can denounce a Comunidad se la Regante please and also, where do I denounce a person stealing water from a river.

Oscar Paoli

13 September, 2021 2:23 pm

Hi Lesley,
You may place a denuncia at the Guardia Civil.
Best of luck.
With kind regards,
Ábaco Advisers


17 January, 2022 10:00 am

I denounced a guy for removing and stealing a parking bollard and he has parked in my bay for 12 months.
Although I have now got my car back in the bay as he drove out, there are still numerous items he stored there. Kayak etc.
What can I do legally to get them all removed and stop him returning to my bay when I drive out? Can I update a denouncement?
It is a carpark, within a complex.

Oscar Paoli

17 January, 2022 9:50 pm

Hi Mike,
Unfortunately we do not know what you may legally do, we would recommend to inform the Police or Guardia Civil again and give them an update of your case.
With kind regards,
Ábaco Advisers

Chris Bearman

20 April, 2022 7:49 am

We have a second floor apartment in Spain, when we arrived recently we found two huge wet patches on out bedroom ceiling. It would appear that the new owner above has re-tiled his entire apartment and all areas outside including the steps to his solarium, where he has also built a large shaded pergola. Our area in Spain recently had tremendous rainfall and our community president believes that the water seepage into our apartment has probably come from the steps to the owner above’s solarium, which has probably not been sealed properly.
I contacted the owner who seems uninterested and just keeps referring me to his lawyer in Sweden.
I have since discovered after a visit to our local Ayuntamiento that this owner did not have a license for the work he has done. He is not giving me his insurance details for my insurance company and basically not be co-operative, can I denounce him? and what would the likely outcome be?

Oscar Paoli

20 April, 2022 9:17 am

Hi Chris,
You can also contact your community of owners administrator to get assistance in the process so they can assist you in the communication or have your insurance company contact the neighbours soliccitor.
With kind regards,
Ábaco Advisers

Mark Reginald Tobin

8 May, 2022 2:03 pm

Good Day to you David,
I feel very strongly about illegal traders of all kinds,builders,Cooked Food suppliers,,secondhand furniture sellers,people trading in all things and not registered or paying said taxes ,Iva, social security etc,,
We have four business ,Building,House clearance,Secondhand items barn sales,Jeep tour business contracted to the tour operators,
The other day we found out some old retired person is taking people over the mountains in his 4×4 privately through forums on Facebook,
Illegal Builder advertising on the forums ,not registered,no residencia,English vehicle,not supplying invoices,
And the amount of people selling truck loads of items on the local forums ,you click on there profile and they have listings of items 50 or more items living getting by on the black market,
People preparing food and selling takeaways or delivered from a home kitchen,question what is the best way to go about officially reporting these people,
We pay nearly 600 euros a month plus 100 e to gestor to operate our selfs,plus then Iva,and tax on our profit,,,
It seems to me that these people have it very easy and don’t care as they are advertising on fb forums.
In England you report to social service ,is it the same course to take here,,
The government is missing out so much revenue from these people,
Thank you David ,sorry it’s a bit long winded,
Regards Mark Tobin

Oscar Paoli

9 May, 2022 10:47 am

Hi Mark,
You may contact the Guardia Civil who will be able to start an investigation.
With kind regards,
Ábaco Advisers

Robert Pidgeon

25 July, 2022 2:12 pm

I represent the community of owners of apartments in a small complex adjacent to a large hotel. The hotel have recently relocated their evening entertainment and we now endure animation and music being played very loud, sometimes in excess of 90db.. Its so intrusive children cannot sleep, you can’t have a conversation on your own terrace, or watch the TV.. The legal limit is 65db.. We have spoken to the hotel management who have told us that they wish to keep their neighbours happy and will address the situation but unfortunately it has not improved. I sense they are just paying us lip service. The majority of owners are English and don’t speak Spanish. I would like to know what our best course of action is..

Oscar Paoli

27 July, 2022 1:03 pm

If you have already spoken to the hotel, and the annoying situation continues, we recommend that when the annoying events occur at night or when you understand that the situation is unbearable, whatever time it is, you should call the police, tell them about the situation, tell them about the decibel issue, etc….

We advise you to call the police at that time, because they will go to the hotel right away and talk to them, and there will always be a record of the complaints to the police, and this can help a lot in case of a later complaint.

We believe you should do this if this situation is repeated, and then, if this situation persists, you can make a complaint to the police station or to the town hall and make an administrative complaint, but the first option is to call the police because it is the most effective.

With best of luck,

Ábaco Advisers