Spain Explained

Tax in Spain for residents: Read our quick guide

Last updated on May 31st, 2023 at 03:25 pm.

Retirement in Spain is still a very popular choice. When better to take advantage of Spain’s beautiful climate and perfect pace of life than when you have the time to really enjoy it? However, what you don’t want whilst you are enjoying your new lifestyle are worries about tax or documentation in a foreign country. That’s where this article comes in – below, we run through tax in Spain for residents, with particular attention to what you need to know as a retiree.

We would like to remind you that taxation in Spain can be complicated and you could be subject to fines or penalties if you miss a deadline or don’t do your taxes properly. Advisably, you should seek fiscal advice from an expert to avoid possible complications.

Do I need to pay resident tax in Spain?

If you live in Spain for more than 183 days then you are a resident. These 183 days need not be sequential – if you return to your home country for a couple of days, it does not mean that your Spanish residency clock restarts. It’s how many days you spend in each country over the course of a calendar year that counts, and if you spend over a certain amount of time in Spain, you’ll be liable for resident taxes. Otherwise, you’ll have to pay non-resident taxes.

New Call-to-action

What is fiscal residency?

The Spanish government does not rely on the civil residency certificate alone to decide if someone is a resident in Spain or not. The problem with a certification system is that people obtain residency and then sometimes, return to their home country without cancelling it. This makes them an unreliable means of determining who is a resident.

Fiscal residency, on the other hand, requires more ongoing proof that you are living in Spain. In order to prove fiscal residency in Spain you need a certificate of fiscal residency which is a white, printed certificate obtained from the Agencia Tributaria (Spanish Tax Office). In order to obtain one of these it is beneficial to have a copy of your Spanish tax return or tax declaration for the last three years.

Proof of fiscal residency is particularly important when it comes to selling a house or bequeathing it. There are concessions for those who are resident in Spain, including avoiding the 3% retention of the sale price that applies to non-residents.

Who has to make a resident tax declaration?

Tax in Spain for residents is documented with a resident tax declaration, which the vast majority of residents are required to make. It does vary, however, according to the level of personal allowances and the number of sources of income. The actual thresholds as they pertain to retirees are shown in the table below.

Residents required to complete an annual tax declaration in Spain:

PensionersReceiving one or more pensions from abroad that total more than €15,000 per year*
Early retireesWith an income through:

  • Interest on saving and assets of more than €1,000 a year.
  • Rental income of €1,000 or more a year.

*some other conditions apply

We do recommend that you make an annual tax declaration whether this table suggests you should or not. It will help you to prove your fiscal residency – a status which can save you money.

Tax in Spain for residents requirements

It is difficult to obtain a fiscal residency certificate without having presented a tax declaration. We are aware of people who have classed themselves as residents, later finding that they haven’t got the necessary proof to avoid being designated a non-resident for tax purposes.

Making a resident tax declaration

The annual resident tax declaration must be completed and presented before the 30th June each year. This declaration is retrospective, so, in June of a certain year you are completing a declaration for the tax year, January to December of the previous year. A fiscal representative like Ábaco submits these every year on behalf of its clients and can give you the advice you need about the documents to bring to the appointment. You can fill out this form and we will offer you a first free consultation for free.

The appointment usually takes about an hour and the declaration is completed online. This means that we can tell people straight away if there is anything to pay or not, if there is a nil return or even if there is overpaid tax to collect.

If you are in the fortunate position of having overpaid tax and are due a refund, the Spanish Tax Authority is required to return it within six months. If they do not they will have to pay you interest on the amount owed. Any refunds are paid directly into your bank account and this can happen quite quickly.

Understanding the 720 declaration form

Another important detail about tax in Spain for residents in the 720 asset declaration form. However, it is important to be aware that this is for information only and is not a tax in itself. The form is issued by the Spanish Tax Authority in line with European Union requirements. Every resident who has assets outside of Spain which total over €50,000 within any one group, must complete the asset declaration form or risk incurring a substantial fine.

The three groups referring to assets held outside of Spain are:

  • Bank accounts (group 1)
  • Other assets and investments (group 2)
  • Property or business premises (group 3)

The deadline for completion of the form each year for the previous tax year is the 31st March. New residents in Spain, as well as those whose circumstances have changed will need to complete one before the next deadline has expired. Changing circumstances include:

  • You have purchased or sold property.
  • Your investments have matured.
  • You have cancelled, closed or sold previously declared assets.

You will also need to complete a new form if one of these applies:

  • Your assets have increased or decreased by €20,000 or more of total assets in any of the groups previously declared.
  • You declared last year, but this year your assets have reached more than €50,000 in a previously undeclared category.

The penalties for not completing the form or completing one incorrectly are steep. People generally chose to engage a fiscal representative on their behalf to complete it.

Property tax in Spain for residents

Property tax in Spain for residents is another key expense to be aware of. If you are a resident, you have to pay IBI on all property you own in Spain. IBI (Impuesto Sobre Bienes Inmuebles) is the equivalent to council tax in Spain which must be paid by every homeowner whether they are a resident or a non-resident. It is a local tax and is payable directly to the town hall or via the SUMA offices in some regions.

Tax in Spain for residents property tax

This tax goes towards paying for local services such as the maintenance of facilities, parks and leisure areas and all kinds of infrastructure provided by the Town Hall. It is collected annually and the period during which it is collected depends on where your property is located. Rubbish collection is charged for separately either as part of your water bill or as a separate service charge issued by the Town Hall or SUMA.

New Call-to-action

Staying on the right side of the law

Taxes in Spain for residents can be tricky to complete, especially if Spanish isn’t your first language. For your own peace of mind it is important to ensure that you have completed the tasks that will make your residency – both civil and fiscal – complete. It can seem a little overwhelming at first, but by taking one step at a time with advice from professionals and you can feel as at home in Spain as you have felt anywhere in the world. For any further advice about your tax obligations in Spain, don’t hesitate to fill out this form and we will contact you as soon as possible. 

See all

It might be of your interest...

Leave a comment


Nina Andrews

2 September, 2017 2:52 pm

I have been in touch before
I have been in touch before but had no reply. My question was do I and my husband have to fill in a tax form even though we have no assets in UK and have income only by a state pension from UK.

Penny Blank

23 February, 2020 12:33 pm

Good advice. Some Spanish Accountants in this country do NOT know the correct procedure and we went to one the other week and he was saying that we are taxed on all earnings that come into Spain, whether taxed at source (UK) or not. After reading this and asking other ExPats who are registered Fiscal Residents, we are getting better advice.

Oscar Paoli

4 March, 2020 3:47 pm

Thank you for your positive comments.
Kind regards,
Ábaco Advisers

Iain Bennett

14 April, 2020 3:43 pm

My wife and I became resident in Spain during 2019, I am aware that we need to submit a tax return by June 2020. Due to covid19 we are unable to leave home at the moment. Is it possible to make an appointment with you immediately after the lockdown allows. If so can you advice what documents we need to bring with us to allow you to assist with the completion of our tax return.
Can you also advise what the cost will be.
Iain Bennett

Oscar Paoli

21 April, 2020 3:55 pm

Hello there,
Of course we can be of assistance.
We offer the possibility to send information to us via email at the following email address
You can check our pricing in the following link:
To check what documents are required please contact us at or by phone at +34 966 703 748 and our customer care department will be able to give you more details regarding your specific scenario.
Best wishes,
Ábaco Advisers

Chrtopher HARRISON

26 February, 2021 10:01 pm

We have a pension of £9800 per annum do we need to pay spanish tax?
We own our villa and live here permanent. We pay our IBI taxes on time.

Oscar Paoli

1 March, 2021 10:53 am


The requirement to complete a Spanish Tax Declaration depends on the type of income and as Britain is no longer part of the European Union it is a requirement to show a Tax Declaration on the renewal of permits.

With kind regards,

Ábaco Advisers

Mrs N Andrews

2 March, 2021 3:34 pm

Hi have looked at the 7 table of contents. Still confused with parts as we do pay our
council tax confused as we thought it was every 12 months but every year it is a month
early every year because of this we lost 3 months and did pay the fine off. We never receive notification of payment due or know what amount of payment other then when we check our bank account. Not always checking as it does not give indication of who they are and is confusing as we Pay every year for out Gas supply Internet car tax and Electric also delivery of water in cash. My husband and I only have income from the state pensions we receive, we do have savings of under 20,000 thousand each and assets are way under 50,000.
We own our house here in Spain and 1 car. no other assets in the UK. Do My husband and I
have to fill in a tax form and How. Many thanks

Oscar Paoli

3 March, 2021 9:18 am

Dear Mrs. Andrews,

The Council Tax depends form area to area it is normally paid once a year but some town hall have different arrangements and fraction payment can also be request information can be obtained form the web page of your corresponding town hall.

If you are a Resident in Spain you should complete an annual Income Tax Declaration every April to June based on your worldwide income, if your assets out sident of Spain are below then you are not required to complete the 720 Declaration, attached basci information about Resident Taxes.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at should you have any further queries.

With kind regards,

Ábaco Advisers


31 March, 2024 7:41 pm

Resident under the visa non lucrativo…

I own outright two properties in Murcia. If I choose to use one for holiday rentals (I already have a licence), would that be deemed work income or passive income?

If the former then if I use an agency is this then pssive income?

Oscar Paoli

25 April, 2024 3:57 pm

Good afternoon David,

In either case it is considered pasive income with regards to the annual income taxes.
The only appreciable difference is that, should you rent via a intermmediary or letting agency, you would be able to deduct their charges as costs against the rental income.
This income, and deductable costs, such as community fees, annual council tax, maintenence and house insurance to name a few, are thus included on the annual Modelo 100 alongside all your other sources of income.

Kind Regards,

Ábaco Advisers